Siberia Trekking - discover Russian nature
Kamchatka is famous as land of volcanoes and bears. We're going to hike in northern group of volcanoes, including Tolbachik and Klyuchevskaya (4750m). Tolbachik is a volcanic complex, consisting of two volcanoes, Plosky (flat) Tolbachik (3085 m) and Ostry (sharp) Tolbachik (3682 m), which as the names suggest are respectively a flat-topped shield volcano and a peaked stratovolcano. There was a huge eruption of Tolbachik in 1975, and recent one in 2013.
Points of interest: impressive views to volcanoes, lava fields, crater of active volceno, animals - marmots, ground squirells, foxes and bears. Likely we will see lenticular clouds. We will be surrounded by magnificient geological formations.
Total distance of hiking is about 70km, but very changeable due to terrain. We're going to cross two low passes with heights of 1200 and 1500m.
Please note, participants have to carry your personal things and part of shared food (about 5 kg).
List of animals we saw in this area: several brown bears feeding on berries, hare, wolverine, many black-capped marmot (Marmota camtschatica), many Arctic ground squirrels.
List of birds: snow bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis) , rock ptarmigan (Lagopus muta), red-necked phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus), Gyrfalcon (Falco rusticolus), rough-legged buzzard (Buteo lagopus)
Photographs of trekking 2018
Photographs of trekking 2017
List of equipment
- backpack, warm sleeping bag (with comfort temperature to -5 celsius), sleeping pad
- trekking shoes, light shoes for day rest
- rain jacket, pants, fleece pullover, thermal underwear, socks (2 pairs of cotton and 1 pairs of warm trekking socks), cap, raincoat
- the dishes (mug, spoon, bowl and knife)
- forehead lamp
- matches, personal first-aid kit, dental paste with tooth brush, tissue